IAIED Society History
The International AI in Education Society has been active for over 25 years, starting in 1993.
Past Presidents of the IAIED Society
- 1993-1995 John Self, University of Lancaster, UK
- 1995-1997 Joost Breuker, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 1997-1999 Gordon McCalla, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- 1999-2001 Lewis Johnson, University of Southern California, USA
- 2001-2003 Riichiro Mizoguchi, Osaka University, Japan
- 2003-2005 Helen Pain, University of Edinburgh, UK
- 2005-2007 Jim Greer, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- 2007-2009 Art Graesser, University of Memphis, USA
- 2009-2011 Judy Kay, University of Sydney, Australia
- 2011-2013 Jack Mostow, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- 2013-2015 Tanja Mitrovic, University of Canterbury, NZ
- 2015-2017 Ben du Boulay, University of Sussex, UK
- 2017-2019 Bruce McLaren, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- 2019-2021 Rosemary Luckin, University College London, UK
Lifetime Achievement Awards
"The AIED Lifetime Achievement Award is given to members of the international AIED community who throughout their careers have substantially advanced the science and engineering of intelligent human-technology ecosystems that support learning."
2018 John Self, University of Lancaster, UK - One of the founders of AIED and the first IAIED President (1993-1995). Conducted seminal research in student modeling, open learner models, and foundational issues.
2021 Art Graesser, University of Memphis, USA - A leader in AI in Education for over three decades and and IAIED President from 2007-2009. His contributions are fundamental to dialog-based intelligent tutoring systems, question asking and answering, human tutoring, memory, emotions, computational linguistics, and virtual agents.